So, I’m liking the selling thing so far. Which is a good sign seeing as it has been really hard so far. I did get my first 2 sales this week, which was awesome! My first one came Wednesday night. They called me back from a really brief visit on Tuesday and said they had looked us up and were really interested. They invited me over for dinner. We had the BEST pizza I’ve ever had (and I am a huge pizza fan). It is called “Grandma’s Pie”. It is loaded with really fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh tomatoes. DELICIOUS! We ate and finalized the sale. It was awesome!
Saturdays have been the hardest for me. I get really depressed around 2 or 3 with no success and realizing that I have like 7 hours left still. But this past Saturday I did get a sale around 4, which was awesome! It changed my whole attitude about the rest of the day. I had been depressed and decided to just make it a numbers game- see how many doors I could knock in the next 6 or 7 hours. Around door number 30 I got a sale.
However, I am realizing that I need a creative outlet in my life as well. As much as I felt the work I did at Fetzer’s sitting at a desk all the time with no customer interaction wasn’t for me, I really do miss all the creativity involved in it. I am really missing the creative brainstorms with John Peterson (the marketing director) and Nathan (graphic designer). I loved the things that I learned there. Putting together draft after draft of folder designs and mockups, project overview pages, and sales brochures and booklets was a lot of fun. I learned a ton about design in a short period of time. They both have amazing minds that were awesome to collaborate with.
Looking back at High School (odd I know) it really was a very happy time of my life. I would never go back and my experiences since have all been incredible. However, I think I had a really good balance for my personality in High School. Here are all the things that I spent a lot of time doing:
Carpentry class: building the house was awesome. I loved the learning and the working with my hands. Very tangible results gave me great satisfaction. It was something I was really good at too.
Productions: Acting is an awesome outlet for me. I love turning myself into a character. I think I also really liked having so many different parts and learning to master my different roles and manage everything. It was an outlet of leadership as well. In elementary school I was always told I was bossy. I’ve liked to lead from an early age.
Yearbook: Creative outlet for sure! I loved finding a story, finding the angle, getting awesome pictures, learning how to get good shots, writing a compelling story and making it all fit together in the given parameters.
FBLA: Future Business Leaders of America. I loved competing! I loved learning how to be a decent public speaker in the Impromptu Speaking and Job Interview categories. It was acting with a purpose- playing the role of myself and putting my best self forward. It was my first taste of business leadership and I loved it.
Taco Time: I was part of a winning team. We worked so hard and excelled in everything we did at work. It was a place of motivation and learning. I was always being pushed to be better. I loved working the drive-thru because I had to do a thousand things at once. I was talking to customers on the head set while pouring drinks, getting orders ready, handling 2 windows of customers and doing it all while making each customer feel like they were important to me. It pushed me. I loved having a genuine, awesome experience with customers who came for food and left having had a 2.5-minute experience that they remembered.
Seminary Council: I loved the spiritual experiences of seminary. Working on the council gave me an opportunity for leadership much like we have in church callings. I was able to focus on the one and I had amazing experiences with multiple classmates who were struggling and I became good friends with and helped them out of their shell.
Reflecting on my high school experience is good- it helps me pull out things that I really love. I hope in the next few months to find a job that can incorporate a lot of these things together. It would be a very dynamic job for sure. In really thinking about it I think running a company would require a lot of these things, I am just not sure what kind of company. That will probably be down the road. For now I need a job that includes the following:
Allows me to be creative (both in design and with my hands).
Requires a lot of interaction with both a really strong, motivating team and with customers.
Possibilities of leadership opportunities to motivate and lead others.
That will be challenging and require me to push myself to be the best that I can.
If anyone knows of a job that can incorporate all of these things please give me a call!
No comments:
Post a Comment