Well, despite being in New York this whole week, I really haven't had much of a feel for the people here until today. This morning we had our first visit to the new doctor, and man was it different! I swear everyone talks so fast that if you don't pay really close attention, have some previous knowledge about what they might say, and watch their hand gestures, then you will have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Although our doctor out here was very friendly and helpful, I walked away feeling pretty lost and a little frustrated. Brody was slightly more frustrated to say the least.
We went in and filled out stacks of paperwork and waited an hour to get into the office. Then when we finally got in and did the usual routine to get back to the room, we waited another half hour or so. Finally the doctor came to meet us and talked very quickly through what he'd be doing. After checking me he said I was dilated 1cm and that things looked good. Then he set up an ultrasound to get a good idea of how the baby was doing. I figured this was pretty normal since it was our first visit with him and we were transferring so late in the pregnancy. Later, he informed me that he wanted me to come in twice a week and do a ultrasound every time! I was feeling like that was really overboard considering most doctors in Utah only do one ultrasound at 20 weeks. This guy was talking about doing 2 a week until I have the baby! His explanation was that they liked to be very thorough and that they paid a lot to have the ultrasound machine. I thought, "So now you are trying to pay it off by over doing it on the scanning with each patient." So I wasn't too thrilled about that idea.
The ultrasound was SO fast and the woman doing it didn't explain what she was doing at all. But she printed a picture at the end and handed it to us. When I looked at it after I thought, "What is this supposed to be?" I think she figured I wouldn't have a clue as to how to look at the picture anyway so she just gave me a picture of nothing.
Aside from the wait and hardly knowing what was going on when I was being helped, no one there seemed to know that I was a transferring patient, or even that I was pregnant. I think I was asked by at least 3 or 4 different people if I was pregnant. Then when I would tell them I was 36 weeks they would say, "Oh wow! So you are really close then!" The ladies at the front desk couldn't figure out why my records weren't transferred already despite them telling me to wait until I got there to transfer them. Then they couldn't find the form to fax over, then they told me I needed to take the form over to the old office because they couldn't fax it (not realizing it was clear back in Utah), then they finally found the right form and said that they could fax it... ahh! By that time, we just had to leave because Brody was going to be late for work and we'd been there for two and a half hours!
So we now have two appointments scheduled for next week. One with an ultrasound, and one without... don't ask me how that all happened. I was just so ready to leave that I figured that we'll figure it all out later or next time. As for now, I think I'm just wanting to stay put so I don't have to do this again at another office. The good news is... its still a girl (haha), she's healthy as far as they can tell, and she is 6lbs 5oz and in the 53rd percentile for her size. So thats all that really matters! I'm sure everything else will work out just fine.
Oh wow! What an experience!! I probably would have lost control and started yelling at everyone for being incompetent! Hopefully your next visit is better :)
ReplyDeleteFun!! Where are you in NY? My good, good friend lives back there somewhere (she says she can walk to central park, if that helps at all) and she just delivered her 2nd baby and says she LOVES her Dr. If you feel like switching, I can get the info for you! Good luck!!
ReplyDelete