Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Moms
This week we were so fortunate to have my family in New York for their summer vacation and of course to see Alydia! It was so great to have them out here! The first couple days they hung around here on Long Island and we went a few places like Fire Island. Then the last few days they spent time in NYC and then came back to have dinner and hang out with us every night. Although we weren't great entertainment, it was so good to have them there and see them all so anxious for a turn to hold Alydia. She was sure spoiled with love this week! But before my whole family came out, my mom came out a few days earlier to help me out. It was perfect timing for me because the dinners from other people had stopped, Brody was back at work full time, and my adrenaline was wearing off as exhaustion was setting in. So of course the second she got here she set to work sending me back to bed as soon as Alydia was finished eating and then started making preparations to make dinners and clean our apartment. What a relief to have a mom... especially one who is so helpful and won't allow me to be stubborn and try to entertain her rather than sleeping! Not only was it so great to have the help that I needed, but it was so comforting to know that she had gone through all the same things with me as a baby. She seemed to have all the answers and seemed to know how to handle the fussing, the sponge baths, the messy blowouts, the discomforts after having a baby and everything else. I spent a lot of time just watching her as she held Alydia and cared for her so I could learn from her expertise. I listened intently as she sang lullaby's so I could learn the words, and watched her every move as she helped me bathe her. I don't know how any new mom could make it without their mom to come to the rescue just when you feel like some days (or nights) you are only trying to make it through the day with the little energy you have. I am so grateful for my family and their love, but I am especially grateful this week for my mom! I have sure learned how to love Alydia more fully and take care of her just by watching my mom. Hopefully someday I can be the kind of mom to Alydia that my mom has been to me! We teased her all week that she was hogging Alydia and holding her way more than anyone else. But I absolutely loved watching her hold her and love her! Thank you mom! You were exactly who I needed this week! And now we are looking forward to having Brody's mom out for another week! We are so lucky to have such supportive and loving families. We only wish all of the Horton's could come out to visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your mom too! Moms really are the best. I'm glad they got to come out and visit. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I loved every minute that I got to spend with you, Alydia and Brody! I am missing all of you already. I keep dreaming about taking care of Alydia. Thanks for the fun time. I love you!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
What a beautiful little girl! Congratulations! You have such great parents & siblings! And such a cute new family of your own!
ReplyDelete